Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L James

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Synopsis from Amazon:
When literature student Anastasia Steele interviews successful entrepreneur Christian Grey, she finds him very attractive and deeply intimidating. Convinced that their meeting went badly, she tries to put him out of her mind – until he turns up at the store where she works part-time, and invites her out.Unworldly and innocent, Ana is shocked to find she wants this man. And, when he warns her to keep her distance, it only makes her want him more.But Grey is tormented by inner demons, and consumed by the need to control. As they embark on a passionate love affair, Ana discovers more about her own desires, as well as the dark secrets Grey keeps hidden away from public view …

Firstly, I don't understand the hype at all. The writing was terrible. For the first half of the book, it felt like she used the same 10 descriptions on every second page. His 'long fingers' and her 'shattering into pieces' every 5 minutes was just irritating! Seriously, there's a reason it was called 'creative' writing in high school!

But anyway, I did manage to get past the woeful writing by about halfway through. Maybe it got better. Maybe I got dumber. Who knows.

I did like her little inner goddess and her subconscious and their constant battle. I thought they were cute with their dances and snarky comments. A nice addition to the story.

There wasn't a whole lot else I liked. The storyline was only ok. It was enough that I could finish the book, but mostly I was keen to finish because there's heaps on my to be read list that I knew would be more interesting. And it wasn't enough to make me want to read the next two books. Maybe I'll ring my BFF (who rang me everyday for a week raving about these books) and ask her for a quick synopsis of the sequels. Maybe. If there's a lull in the conversation or something.

And the sex. Can't write a review without mentioning the sex, since it took up at least 80% of the book. Eh. Maybe if I'd never read a book full of 'sexy time' (as one of my online friends would say) I would have liked it. Seems most people think it was pretty hot. Eh. All I can say is that it has nothing on JR Ward's 'Black dagger brotherhood' series. If youre reading it just for the hotness factor, do yourself a favour, and just pick up a copy of Dark Lover instead.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I still can't believe this thing is on all the best seller lists. Kind of makes me sad. haha....

    Anyway, welcome to the "book blogger" community Lani!

    ReplyDelete